Forums

Post your hero!

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

754 Posts in 132 Topics by 94 members

Topic: Yoimiya - DestinyQuest 1 Rogue

Page: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
  • Re: Yoimiya - DestinyQuest 1 Rogue

I don't think anyone will mind if your rogue sneaks back to Act 2 and picks up the shadowstalker career ;-)

I would say that assassin is one of the most powerful careers in book 1 - once you get venom and and the bonus to passive damage, that extra damage (with bleed) can really blow through opponents. There are a few opponents immune to venom/bleed - but not many.

And the shadowstalker is a solid career for survivability.

One piece of advice - don't hold to items past their sell by date. I know you like the bow for roleplay purposes but be prepared to swap that out for something better - like a sword or dagger with better attributes and ability.

Legion of Shadow can be a rough ride I'm afraid. But it is a good training ground. When you come to Book 2 you will find it a breeze! And be blown away by the difference!

Aye, I've learned from my mistake and I'll take on the remaining Act 3 content as a Shadowstalker, because it's a fantastic career IMO. And as for Death Strike, yeah, I get you. I love the bow, but it seems to have served its purpose. I might replace it when I come across a good left hand weapon.

Anyways, here is a status update on my heroine in Act 3! I planned on doing a status update before that showed Yoimiya's current stats at the End of Act 2/Start of Act 3, but I didn't get the chance to, so that's like a missing episode right there if we were to imagine Yoimiya's journey as a movie or a TV show. Regardless, a LOT has happened.

-----HERO INFORMATION BELOW!-----
    (ACT 3)

Name: Yoimiya "The Arena Champion" "The Chosen One"
    Path: Rogue
    Career: Shadowstalker (Abilities: Shadow Speed, Shadow Fury)
    Health: 45
    Stats: 14sp, 21br, 0ma, 0ar

Head: Total Eclipse (2sp 3br) vanish
    Cloak: Gloom Shade (2sp 3br) steal
    Gloves: Nightwalker Gloves (1sp 2br) nightwalker set [gut ripper]
    Chest: Nightwalker Tunic (1sp 2br) nightwalker set [gut ripper]
    Feet: Marsh Striders (2sp 2br) sideswipe

Main hand: Mortican's Scapel (dagger) (3sp 4br) disease
    Left hand: Death Strike (bow) (1sp 3br) bull's eye

Talisman: Tiger's Heart (1sp) cat's speed

Necklace: Beetle-Shell Garland (1sp) charm
    Ring: Lupine Lapis (1br) bleed
    Ring: Finger of Fire (1br) sear

Other: Gold Detector () beep! beep!

-----HERO INFORMATION ABOVE!-----

New, shiny loot! I've recently completed the blue quest in Act 3, Against All Odds, and I love it! Disclaimer, however, my heroine's current equipment is NOT the same as the equipment she wore when she entered that quest.

Anywho, I like the last-stand type of feeling where your player character and four others struggle to keep the undead horde at bay so Lansbury can activate the Angel statue. I also liked how you control your allies in battle, while your player character doesn't join in unless your current ally dies. However, I've bent the rules to give Laine and co. a higher chance of survival:

1. Upon beginning the battle, my hero (Yoimiya) will activate her pre-combat abilities, which in this case, is the Bull's Eye from Death Strike, and also apply passive damage effects. I rationalized it as her spotting the fight between one of her allies and the enemy and providing aid with her bow before leaving it to her ally to win their battle.

2. If the ally's HP falls below 10, they fall back and my heroine tags in to finish the battle.

Despite the new conditions I've put in place, Witchfinder Gull was the only ally to fall in battle, so no special achievement in this playthrough. Oh well.

I don't think you can restart a quest after you complete or fail it, but I will break the rules and "restart" Waking the Dead since I never got to see the rest of the quest due to losing my first battle against the apprentice necromancer. I want to see what makes it epic, as Gilgamesh says, and maybe I can find some neat loot. My reasoning could be that most of Zul's forces left the necropolis, allowing Yoimiya and co. to sneak back in. Unlike her last visit, Yoimiya will be better prepared.

I'll post another status update once I finish most of Act 3's content.

Also, giving a shoutout to the Magmageddon reward weapon, Burning Heretic. It's a solid +3 speed, +3 brawn sword that served its purpose when my heroine wielded it. Not to mention, having Critical Strike alongside Gut Ripper felt very nice.

And that's a wrap. At 2:11 AM EST, I have finished Act 3 and overall, the first book...or well, I'm almost finished with this playthrough. There's a bonus quest I have to do first!

Anyways, here is Yoimiya, the fireworks "archer" and the champion of light! The heroine who saved Valeron from the Legions of Shadow!

-----HERO INFORMATION BELOW!-----
    (END OF BOOK 1)

Name: Yoimiya "The Champion of Light"
    Path: Rogue
    Career: Shadowstalker (Abilities: Shadow Speed, Shadow Fury)
    Health: 45
    Stats: 16sp, 24br, 0ma, 0ar

Head: Total Eclipse (2sp 3br) vanish
    Cloak: Nemesis Shroud (2sp 3br) dark pact
    Gloves: Nightwalker Gloves (1sp 2br) nightwalker set
    Chest: Shadow Bindings (2sp 3br) evade
    Feet: Marsh Striders (2sp 2br) usurper

Main hand: Mortican's Scapel (dagger) (3sp 4br) disease
    Left hand: Gorgis Grip (fist) (2sp 4br) rake

Talisman: Heart of the Beast (1sp 1br) savagery

Necklace: Beetle-Shell Garland (1sp) charm
    Ring: Lupine Lapis (1br) bleed
    Ring: Finger of Fire (1br) sear

Other: Gold Detector () beep! beep!

Light-Infused Shadow Mark () bright shield

-----HERO INFORMATION ABOVE!-----

I've greatly enjoyed the finale of Act 3, the intensity of the situation, and the enemies fought. I'm proud to have gone through Battle of The Bone Fields quest deathless, and the Legion of Shadow boss encounter MOSTLY deathless (I died against Sharroth twice but that was due to unlucky rolls, and I opted to restart the Sharroth fight instead of going to a checkpoint).

I had to ditch the Death Strike bow and part of my Nightwalker Set for better gear, but it was worth it in the end. I did not come across any good gloves to replace my Nightwalker Gloves since I replaced my Nightwalker Tunic very late into Act 3.

As for the orange quest that I failed prior, Waking of the Dead. I restarted the quest and went through it mostly deathless until the final boss, Sammain. I went against the rules and treated Sammain as any other regular encounter that I can redo if I fail, instead of following the book's instructinons. Regardless, Sammain is still no pushover; she's a fun boss to fight against, if a bit frustrating.

And about the ultimate reward of Waking the Dead, Arthurian's Horn? Well, it's still sitting in my heroine's inventory, since I never found a use for it. I overcame my battles through good rolls, clever use of skills, and sheer willpower. Maybe I can homebrew the second book a bit to include the horn as a one-use heirloom item that can't be used until Act 2 or somethin' as a lil' gift to whoever my DestinyQuest 2 character is going to be from their good pal, Yoimiya. ;)

I will post one more status update once I complete the bonus quest and then it's off to DestinyQuest 2!

(P.S. I never really found a use for the Bright Shield ability in the final fight.)

Nice!
    Now that you have finished those quests, i can talk about it...do you have the word: black book?
    Since you like to play the "archer", i suggest you to try the warrior path next time (it needs the correct "choices" to unleash all of its potential), there is a powerful AoE bow (released as art postcard) that fits perfectly with the warrior path and a specific career ;)

Be ready for the bonus quest! expect...the unexpected!

I'm going through the bonus quest as we speak. It is quite unexpectedly tough, but fun!

Yeah, I'll go Warrior next time if I want to play the traditional archer.

As for the keyword, Gilgamesh. If I know what you're referring to...is it that one Act 1 blue quest called The Black Book? If so, then no, I went the goody two shoes route of leaving it guarded by the crusader's ghost. Is there something devilish about it?

Yes,that black book from Act 1.
    If you have the "black book" word you can visit a paragraph (part of a section that can be reached even without this code-word, but with the correct choices); It's about the background of a character. Something that you will appreciate in the latest books of the kickstarter trilogy "The Sands of time"

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: CrazedOldMan

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad