Forums

Rules Q&A

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

733 Posts in 207 Topics by 139 members

Topic: Losing to Rutus

Page: 1
  • Losing to Rutus

Once again, excellent book, very well done

You've become one of my favorite authors recently not only because of your amazing ideas but also because you just seem to be a genuinely cool guy who responds and helps his fans. I asked you a long while ago for some writing tips and you took the time to give me really great advice, which just goes to show that you're a good person as well as a good writer.

But enough flattery; I've got a question. When you lose against Rutus does it count as a defeat? Since he doesn't actually kill you, does it count towards your death penalties? The rules say whenever you lose you should record it as a defeat, so common sense seems to dictate it should be recorded. But the fact that he can just come out of nowhere and give you a defeat before you even start a quest makes me wonder if it does really count as a defeat or not?

Either way, awesome game, awesome book, a worthy addition to the series. I love the death penalty system, and if you do make future Destiny Quest books (and I hope you do, or really any other sort of book) I hope you keep something similar to that.

• Re: Losing to Rutus

Thank you, kind sir - appreciate the comments!

Hmm, this is actually a very good question and one perhaps I should have made explicit in the text. Yes, Rutus still counts as a defeat (as technically you lost a combat). Remember, you need five defeats before you need to roll on the death penalty chart, so consider a defeat as your body gradually succumbing to all the knocks and tumbles.

• Re: Losing to Rutus

Actually, I relent on this one. I've reviewed the text and the entries, and I agree that it could be a little harsh to penalise a hero for a combat they are not ready for, that early on in the book.

So, I'll be the nice guy and say that losing to Rutus does not count as a defeat. I'll add this to the errata list (general forum) so that it can be added into future print runs.

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Bob88753

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad