Forums

Rules Q&A

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

733 Posts in 207 Topics by 139 members

Topic: Fungulus encounter, (288, Heart of fire) missing rules text?

Page: 1 , 2
  • Fungulus encounter, (288, Heart of fire) missing rules text?

It says at the end that if you win you can restore any lowered attributes such as magic. It does not tell you that blast the bike or power pruning causes your maximum magic to decrease though. It simply says you can do this instead of inflicting damage. Is using one of those actions meant to cause a permanent reduction to your magic score till the end of the fight?

• Re: Fungulus encounter, (288, Heart of fire) missing rules text?

In that combat you 'spend' your magic points to do extra damage.

At the end of the combat, you restore your magic.

That doesn't make sense. There are 2 options. One to get rid of the sap and one to reduce it's armour by 4. Neither option tells you how much magic it uses. It just says you may use your magic. I beat the encounter and set a rule that every time I did one of those actions it reduced my maximum magic score by 1 point. I then used my brawn for damage score when not doing one of the above actions as instructed in the text.

You're right Antfunk, it never says you have to reduce your magic to do the non-damage causing action, either reduce your opponent's armor, or defeat the health-sapping saps. So I don't know why it says return your magic to normal. There will be future combats that reduce your brawn, magic or armor, then restore those at the end of combat like your health. I just interpreted as, it was a combat to test your worthiness as a mage, so you're definitely fighting with your magic instead of brawn. If you did reduce your magic, that would make the fight way too tough, since it's early in the book, and your max Health hasn't even been increased yet. I would say don't reduce your magic to do those actions, since you're passing up the chance to do damage.

Yeah I agree it's missing something. As it stands what I have been doing on encounters that have these grey areas is trying to pick the hardest choice. What I did here was use 1 magic point for each of the 2 actions as I used them. When pushing damages through I used my brawn score. Managed to kill it without firing. This game feels a lot more balanced than what I got through in the first game book as I have not died yet. I'm not going to use the term easy as I feel that it rewards gear and item choice better to enable you to win easier. I even managed to 1 shot the first achievement challenge I came across which was the zombies and not cheating or anything like that. Loving it so far!

Oh, I remember how tough it was beating the zombie horde in like five rounds without using abilities or backpack items. You get a really good item that you can equip or use it for something else.

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Bob88753

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad